Making space in a cramped closet is no picnic, but it can be a lot easier than you think. Follow these steps for making the task run more smoothly and make more space in your closet than you ever imagined possible!
1) Traditional closets waste a lot of space. Consider removing the old “rod and shelf” and put up some inexpensive shelving. There are so many options on the market today and most are very sturdy and easy to install.
2) Donate what you can to charity. Most people report having a lot of the same clothes in their closet that have been there for ten years! You really should go through and get rid of out of date clothes. You probably rotate between your favorite outfits and ignore the rest. Slimming down your belongings is a quick and easy way to make more room.
3) Store sentimental clothing outside of the closet. If you must keep your prom dress for twenty years, consider having it heir loomed. Most cleaners offer this service. They will clean the dress and then seal it in an acid free container that will keep your dress in great shape. Plus you can store that box in the attic, under a bed or in the garage without worrying about the dress.
4) Store out of season clothing rather than leaving it in the closet. A rolling garment rack with a cover is a great way to store clothing without taking it off of the hanger. Your clothes will be protected from dust, wrinkles and musty smells. You can keep the rack in a spare bedroom, garage, basement, or even just in a corner of your room. But, getting those clothes out of the way will be priceless when it comes to creating some space and staying organized.
5) Create a system that will help you keep things clear. Hang all of your clothes hangers backwards on the bar. As you do laundry and hang up things that you have worn, hang them the right way. When the season comes to an end and you are ready to switch out your wardrobe, give away the clothes that are still hanging backwards. This will help you to get rid of things that you don’t wear without wondering if you’ll ever use them again. If you didn’t use them this year, chances are you won’t miss it.
6) Use clever ways of making space. Using space saving hangers is a quick and easy way to create a lot of space in a very short amount of time. Space saving hangers, like velvet hangers, are very slim, yet sturdy. They grip clothing to keep it from ending up on the floor, help clothing keep its shape, and fit closely together to make a lot of room. You can even add specialty hangers like pants hangers that hold a lot of items on one hanger. Cascading hooks and other closet accessories will help you to create even more space as needed.
About the Author: Rick Miller is on the staff of Only Slimline Hangers, a leading online resource for velvet hangers which are space saving hangers, non slip hangers and slim line hangers. For more information, please visit http://www.onlyslimlinehangers.com.